First Congregational

Church of Berkeley

Berkeley, CA

 


   The 1930 unreinforced masonry building required seismic upgrading to conform to Berkeley's URM Ordinance. The strengthening of the main building's gable walls was developed by steel beam strongbacks. The steel trusses of the roof were reinforced and then braced by four brick veneered concrete buttresses. 

   Brick arches were reinforced with steel angles, then covered with plaster arch shapes. Arcade columns were reinforced by core drilling vertically, then placing a new reinforcing set in a polymer adhesive. 

   The completed project has such a positive architectural effect that the congregation feels the building has better appearance than the original. 

 

 

 

Return to Renovated Structures