Blue Oak School 

Napa, CA

 

 


 

   The Blue Oak School represents the resurrection of an abandoned building, constructed originally in about 1908 as a public school building. Extensive renovation and improvement of the structural bracing systems were needed, but the existing framing was in remarkably good condition, and included solid sawn members free of knots that were as long as 40 feet in length. 

   Structural improvements consisted of new stairs and strengthening of existing stairs, new sheathing, anchor bolts, and holdowns for existing bracing walls, new roof sheathing, and improvements in framing to account for changes in the building layout. A new foundation was also constructed (the existing was found to be of unreinforced concrete). The project is currently under construction, and is approximately 80% complete. 

 

Return to New Structures